Sunday, May 17, 2009

O Winterson, long live gays & lesbians!


__

Winterson has a new book out! Actually it's a short story collection by various writers, including some of my other favourite authors: Andrew O'Hagan and Ali Smith. 

Winterson has made her short story publicly available here. As usual, the classic Wintersonian story: fragmented narrative, contemplative rhythm, story without a plot, only full of light, love, and poetry.  So I'm getting the book! 

Actually last year there was a book of love letters, and Winterson contributed a very lovely piece. But I didn't think it worth getting as the other writers' pieces weren't as good. Maybe I'll get it if there's a paperback edition. Anyhow, check it out. In any case, try to get hold of Winterson's piece. Is very lovely.

And another favourite writer of mine - a poet - has been named poet laureate of England! No small matter given Carol Ann Duffy's a woman, and a lesbian, and she joins the ranks of Dryden, Wordsworth, Tennyson, Day-Lewis, Ted Hughes. 

Winterson doesn't really qualify for poet positions, but hopefully she might one day become Nobel Laureate! Hehe!

The Name 
By Carol Ann Duffy 

When did your name 
change from a proper noun 
to a charm?

Its three vowels 
like jewels 
on the thread of my breath.

Its consonants 
brushing my mouth 
like a kiss.

I love your name. 
I say it again and again 
in this summer rain.

I see it, 
discreet in the alphabet, 
like a wish.

I pray it 
into the night 
till its letters are light.

I hear your name 
rhyming, rhyming, 
rhyming with everything.




__

And this is really amazing. I hope there'd be more of such events in Singapore! It actually makes it look more like a country than a ... factory??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's a lovely gesture, isn't it. change is coming, slowly but steadily.

i can't remember when's the last time i read anybody's blog!

i should start one again.

come back!

ot