I think yesterday's AWARE meeting is a historic moment in Singapore [more weblinks here]. And reading the 'live' updates on twitter and the various blogs, and then watching the video clips on Youtube afterwards, for once I wished I were in Singapore, in Suntec witnessing that great occasion.
It was an occasion where Singaporeans came together and objected to deeds that had been carried out according to the law, but were not not necessarily legitimate, not necessarily right. Because sometimes, the means don't justify the ends. Because the law can bring about injustice too. Especially when the law is being exploited for sinister ends, something the PAP government has perfected into an art. So it was no wonder the grand mastermind 'Feminist Mentor' thought she and her minions could get away with it. But alas, she lacked the brilliance of that other Great Mentor, Lee Kuan Yew.
It was an occasion where Singaporeans came together and denounced religious zeal - in this instance, a certain Christian fundamentalism - that had been misused, that is misguided, and can do more harm than good. This is on a personal note: I've read the bible from cover to cover (King James' version), and occasionally dip into it, always for its beautiful prose and calming poetry. I think the bible is one of the greatest piece of English literature there is around. I respect its teachings as a non-believer, just as I respect the myriad interpretations individual believers, disparate priests, denominations, and theologians can have - and that they ought to have. This is why I am suspicious of anyone who proclaims to tell the 'truth' about the bible. I respect the fact that you believe in God and that you put immense faith in Him as much as I expect you to respect me as a non-believer. Respect being the key here.
The AWARE saga somewhat turned into that tired gay/anti-gay debate, and if anyone of you is unconvinced that Christianity is not against homosexuality, email me and I'll attempt a sweet and precise deconstruction of the scripture, relevant verse by verse (King James' version) to tell you once and for all that homosexuality is not a Sin. (Or read Winterson). To those who say they cannot 'accept' gays and lesbians: other than because of their own ignorance, prejudice, and bigotry - Why? Gay people are just like everyone else - they live, they breathe, they fall in love. They wish for the little mercies that everyone receives daily, they too struggle for their breath of fresh air - perhaps more than any other people.
Love is love wherever you find it, in whomever you find. As long as it is true. Why should one's love be predicated on hate?
I can go on and on about this, about religion, gender/racial/sexual discrimination.
But the Aware saga was an occasion where Singaporeans came together and demonstrated just how wonderful, and precious it is, to be inclusive by celebrating diversity - in ethnicity, culture, religion, gender, and sexual orientation. It was an occasion where I witnessed true fortitude and maturity in a people, not those stage-shows of patriotism on NDP. And because of all these, it was one rare occasion I was proud to be a Singaporean.
No comments:
Post a Comment