Friday, April 16, 2010

Brahms' Requiem

There is a performance of Brahms' Requiem this coming weekend and I was contemplating whether or not to go. So I youtubed a bit and came across this gem of a snippet by the Berlin Philharmonic, and their rendition absolutely blew me away. I immediately bought the CD from the store, and I haven't been able to stop listening to it since. Maybe in time to come I'll be able to describe why I love it so much. I'll borrow the words from Keats for now. Listening to this Requiem is like

An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever indeed. Needless to say, I've decided to go this weekend. I hope it'll be a good performance. The Berlin Philharmonic's rendition is now etched in my mind, and I think it'd be almost impossible for any other to displace it. Alas, Klemperer and Karajan are dead.

No comments: