I'm rather overwhelmed by Vienna. There is nothing that I'd read or seen about it that had prepared me for all these opulence and grandeur that appear at every turn that I take. It's completely and gloriously unreal, this dream-like city carved out of white stone, marble, and gold. Vienna is unlike many other cities, whose essence can be captured in a snapshot from afar. Here, there is no one single defining monument to symbolise the city - they are plated across the land, with gargoyles, saints, and angels encrusted unto and among the countless roman pillars and rose-garlanded windows. One has to walk beside them to be able to admire these guardians of beauty, that twirl together Vienna into the epitome of an emporer's vision of his city as a single, shimmery piece of art. There's absolutely no reason for it to be this splenderously beautiful - and yet it is, and it's right here before my eyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment