Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Love, this country

Four cities in four weeks, and having returned yesterday morning, there is a growing fondness for Sydney. I can't believe I just said it. KL had nothing going for me, muh as I like the more rustic places in Malaysia, and I was becoming more frustrated by the day whilst in Singapore. I had initially thought of spending a good few months in Singapore next year as part of my field-research, but I think I'll pass. It's no longer just a place where the people are only interested in making money, looking pretty, and being utterly empty. S, who recently visited Singapore, thinks it's a city that has lost its focus. I think it has gone blind, and in its sudden blindness erupted a mass hysteria (very Saramago...) to earn, spend, and preen as if there were only now and no tomorrow.



Some pictures from the conference in KL; there was only one other delegate from Australia, this bubbly girl from the sunshine coast. I learnt more about how to attend conferences than from the conference.

___

And then there's Singapore. Other than the presentation at nus, I fixed a new crown on my front tooth, extracted my wisdom tooth, and in between such dentistry and swollen gums, saw my family, mrs c., some friends, ex-students, and attended a piano concert. And then I had my most comfortable flight ever - I suppose the Brits can still get some things right. Fly British Airways (it's a greater way to fly).

























Before all this traveling, the previous six months in Sydney felt like forever; yet when I went back to Singapore and seeing everything in its familiarity, it was as though I'd never left. Anyway, I should get back to my daily routine. At this rate time is running, one year is almost gone, my time is fast running out. I arrived at 5.30am, took a little nap before dousing myself in coffee and going off to uni to conduct my make-up tutorials. As I mentioned earlier, I'm really glad to be back here, I feel much more at peace.





No comments: